Sunday, January 22, 2006

Misnamed

So in the end, it wasn't even shilshul. The shilshul was rapidly replaced by violent and never-ending vomiting. Before you get too excited, dear readers, it was also accompanied by an explosive pressure throughout my face, puffiness, disorientation, and malaise.

Diagnosis: Severe dehydration brought on by a sinus infection.

Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently, the pressure in my ears were causing my ear drums to exert pressure on the Eustachian tubes -- the center of balance and gravity. This caused an initial sensation of nausea. And everything just unravelled from there.

Were it not for the kindness of a congregant, I would surely have ended up with an IV in my arm, pumping me full of fluids.

Instead, a strict course of Gatorade, water, and BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) and I am on the mend.

The antibiotics are doing wonders as well!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've got the BRAT diet going on here too! Poor Shayla was throwing up all night last night. Actually we don't have the BRAT diet going on because she won't even eat those things. I'm hoping I'm not next (and that she's over it quickly of course).

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

It is the worst! I am still sticking to it with the addition of potatoes and pasta. Good luck!!

:) R

PepGiraffe said...

Also good is Jello - any flavor. I'm not sure chocolate pudding is good, but it is at least not-exactly-solid food and tastes yummy. Rice I never thought of, but mashed potatoes is really helpful, as is chicken *broth*. Sadly, I'm a bit of an expert at these things.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Jello has been a lifesaver. Chocolate pudding...not so much! Some recommend rice pudding but that makes me quesy under the best of circumstances. Broth actually made me sick earlier this week due to the fat content (so I'm told). Oy...I sure hope this passes soon...

:) R

Anonymous said...

I use chicken broth instead of water to make rice and/or noodles. It gives it a better flavor and gets more nutrients in you.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

I usually do as well...except I kid you not -- the broth was making me sick this week too.

Dehydration is the pits!
:) R

PepGiraffe said...

Too true. That is interesting about the broth and the fat content. I wonder if that is true for home made, store bought, or both. But better not to chance it.