Sunday, January 15, 2006

82.5%

Math has never been my strong suit. They tell me that 82.5% is more than 2/3. I always have to rely on "they" when it comes to anything numerical.

How do you know when a dream has come true? Can numbers actually tell the story?

At approximately 11:30am this morning, my home congregation named me Associate Rabbi-elect. If that was the entire story, dayeinu. If I had been elected by only a 2/3 majority and not 82.5% of the membership in attendance, dayeinu.

The metaphor must end here for the most essential part of the dream has come to fruition; the opportunity to have the congregation invite me to join my father in God's sacred work. Not only will I have honour of serving as the rabbi in the shul that helped me grow into the type of Jew and rabbi that I am today...but I will serve alongside their beloved rav. My rav. My father.

So you see...the numbers don't tell the whole story.

12 comments:

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

So here it is:

200 people voted
35 voted against and 1 abstention.

That comes to 82.5%

ifyouwillit... said...

82.5% - thats over 4/5s! Congrats

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Thanks!! I was wondering what the fraction would be...

;) R

Anonymous said...

YEAH! We are so happy for you since we know that's what you REALLY wanted! One more thing for us to celebrate when we see you next!!!

Anonymous said...

That last comment wasn't supposed to be Annonymous.

Sheyna said...

Kol Hakavod!

What a wonderful demonstration of support and validation.

Honestly, if it were me, there'd be a itsy-bitsy part of my brain that would wonder, whenever I saw a voting member, "Are you one of those 35?"

But I also excel at being my own worst critic. ;-)

PepGiraffe said...

Now I know how to get more people to comment on my site: fulfill a dream by at least 82/100! :) Mazal Tov again. Everyone in my office and all of my friends are very happy for you (and the family, but they'll tell you that themselves.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Sheyna: I'm actually not all that curious about who the 35 are. Mostly because I don't think that it was personal. I think that the people who voted against it were simply opposed to the idea of a father and daughter working together. And there might be others who are so accustomed to the rabbi/cantor model (which is being changed with our cantor's retirement and my election) that they are overlooking the fact that I am able to fill all the roles that the Board is looking for -- including a degree in Voice! So it's done and now we move forward.

Crys: We can't wait to see you guys and celebrate everything!!

PG: Yeah, it does seem to be driving the traffic...

Anonymous said...

Mazal tov!

Anonymous said...

Baruch Ha Shem - Math is not part of the job description! Mazel Tov with all our love and admiration!

Jack Steiner said...

Mazal Tov- that is pretty cool.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Thanks! It actually is one of the coolest things that has EVER happened to me. I am just sooooo excited :)