Sunday, December 26, 2004

Come All Ye Faithful

What a wonderful Shabbat!!! One of our board members had a great idea; invite everyone to a potluck so Jews would have somewhere to go on erev Christmas. Remember: if you feed them, they will come...how true! We had just over 100 people come for a fantastic Shabbos dinner and then more people joined us for a service in the round. It was warm and freilich and just altogether wonderful.

Though I purposely avoid secular music on Shabbos, I decided to listen to some Christmas music on the way home from shul. Yeah, weird I know! But I unabashedly adore Christmas music. When I was a little girl, KBIG used to play 36 uninterupted hours of Christmas music on Dec. 24-25 and would publish the playlist ahead of time. I used to find the particular songs I liked and would even go so far as to setting my alarm to wake up in the middle of the night! Now that I have kids, I tend to to avoid Christmas music. I know that the time will come when they will certainly hear it, but I just want to wait a little while before inundating them to the sounds of the season. In any event, KMZT was playing "Christmas with Kiri" (that's Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, the famed soprano from New Zealand) and I was just enthralled! There is something beautiful about erev Christmas. The air is crisp and so still. Very few cars on the road as I made my way home after services were over, and exquisite music to carry me home.

Yesterday, Beernut and I were on our way to the J for the Shrek-a-Thon (both Shrek films, back-to-back!) and I thought of turning on the radio to listen to some seasonal music. Beernut asked for Rick Recht, and as I popped in his CD, I just smiled...

1 comment:

PepGiraffe said...

I think the moratorium on Xmas music is smart. TRH has commented that for someone who hates Xmas as much as I do, I sure do sing a lot of the music. And hates is a strong word.