Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's Raining on Sukkah-night...

We haven't put it up yet. It has been raining since Sunday -- the day we had planned to build the sukkah.

Now my life is, at best, a hectic yet delightful mess! I often feel as though I am just one step ahead of things. Sometimes, I do try to get my act together and plan ahead. So I asked Beernut if he'd given any thought to what costume he might like for Halloween. His response: "I can't think about that now. All I can think about is when we can get the sukkah ready."

That was two days ago...

When we got home from school yesterday, Beernut wanted to know what would happen if we couldn't get the sukkah up before Sukkot began.

And when he woke up this morning, dismayed to find that it was still grey and pouring, he exclaimed, "Now we'll never have a sukkah!"

So, what to do?

I suppose I could wait for a respite from the rain, dash outside, and put up the darn thing as rapidly as possible. But what is the point here? We've always taken time to build and beautify the sukkah together as a family. Our decorations will surely get ruined in the rain.

Perhaps this is the year to just eat at my folks every night...

2 comments:

PepGiraffe said...

Why don't you build and only use water proof beautifications? (Or, you know, build one inside. -- No, no, just kidding.)

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

After six years of an inside sukkah -- no thanks!!

Besides, I just can't make an offering to God with plastic fruit.